Frankie Goes to Hollywood
9 of 12 portraits by Peter Ashworth
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
by Peter Ashworth
C-type colour print, 1 August 1984
17 7/8 in. x 17 7/8 in. (454 mm x 454 mm) image size
Sittersback to top
- Peter Gill (1964-), Musician; drummer for Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- William ('Holly') Johnson (1960-), Multimedia artist, singer, songwriter and author. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Nasher Nash (Brian Nash) (1963-), Musician; guitarist for Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Mark O'Toole (1964-), Musician; bassist for Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Paul Rutherford (1959-), Singer; member of Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1984back to top
Current affairsThe Provisional IRA bomb the Grand Hotel in Brighton where various politicians, including the Prime Minister, where staying for the annual Conservative Party conference. The bomb killed five people including a conservative MP, but no members of the cabinet. Thatcher began the next session of the conference the following morning at 9.30 as planned saying: 'all attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail.'
Art and scienceDr Alec Jeffreys discovers that patterns in an individual's DNA can be identified and that each person has a unique 'genetic fingerprint'. The technique was soon utilised by forensic scientists to help in criminal investigations, and in order to identify human remains, for paternity testing, and to match organ donors.
Ted Hughes is appointed poet Laureate.
InternationalEthiopia suffers severe drought and famine. The Ethiopian government responded by uprooting large numbers of peasants in the worst affected areas and by setting up new villages for the displaced people. However, the planned villages were frequently poorly equipped and many people chose to flee rather than acquiesce with government plans leading to further decline in food production and bringing the total death toll to over 1 million.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.