Julia Margaret Cameron
Julia Margaret Cameron
published by T. Fisher Unwin, after George Frederic Watts
photogravure, published 1893 (1850-1852)
11 1/4 in. x 8 7/8 in. (287 mm x 224 mm) plate size
acquired unknown source, 1939
Sitterback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 114 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1850back to top
Current affairsCardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and scienceDeath of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.
Tennyson's In Memoriam is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
InternationalUp to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Julia Margaret Cameron
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- The Watts Collection
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Rebel women
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield