2 of 23 portraits by Charles Williams
by Charles Williams, published by Elizabeth Walker
hand-coloured etching, published October 1806
13 1/8 in. x 15 5/8 in. (333 mm x 397 mm) plate size; 14 7/8 in. x 18 7/8 in. (377 mm x 478 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Edward Dillon Lott du Cann, 2015
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Alexander I, Tsar of Russia (1777-1825), Reigned 1801-25. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Charles IV, King of Spain (1748-1819), Reigned 1788-1808. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Francis I, Emperor of Austria (1792-1835), Reigned 1806-35. Sitter associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Frederick William III, King of Prussia (1770-1840), Reigned 1797-1840. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 193 portraits. Identify
- Napoléon Bonaparte (1769-1821), Emperor of France 1804-14. Sitter associated with 90 portraits. Identify
- Pope Pius VII (Luigi Barnaba Chiaramonti) (1740-1823), Pope 1800-23. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1806back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt dies in January and his lifelong opponent Charles James Fox dies in September. Pitt is succeeded by William Wyndham, Baron Grenville, who forms the 'Ministry of all the Talents' coalition .
Prince of Wales instigates the 'Delicate Investigation'; a Parliamentary enquiry into claims that his wife Caroline had an illegitimate child.
Art and scienceJohn Constable embarks on a formative tour of the Lakes and makes landscape studies of the Langdale Pikes and Helvellyn.
Turner exhibits his Thames views to acclaim at his own London gallery.
Humphrey Davy discovers the elements potassium and sodium by passing an electrical current through molten compounds.
InternationalSoprano Angelica Catalani arrives from Italy to make her London debut, amazing audiences with her showpiece arias.
Napoleon turns his forces east against Austria, Russia and Prussia and enjoys a wave of French victories.
British attack on Buenos Aires under General William Beresford fails.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints