View on the Windsor Road
View on the Windsor Road
published by John Field
hand-coloured etching, published circa April 1829
9 1/8 in. x 13 1/8 in. (232 mm x 333 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Edward Dillon Lott du Cann, 2015
Artistback to top
- John Field (active 1829-1847), Print publisher. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 280 portraits. Identify
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 135 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Conyngham (née Denison), Marchioness Conyngham (1769-1861), Mistress of George IV; wife of Henry Conyngham, 1st Marquess of Conyngham. Sitter in 34 portraits. Identify
- John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 142 portraits. Identify
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover (1771-1851), Son of George III. Sitter in 85 portraits. Identify
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits. Identify
- John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (1772-1863), Lord Chancellor and politician; son of the painter John Singleton Copley. Sitter associated with 131 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 323 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 640 portraits. Identify
- George William Finch-Hatton, 10th Earl of Winchilsea (1791-1858), Politician; opposer of the Reform Bill. Sitter associated with 13 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints