2 of 5 portraits of Abdul Hamid II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
bromide postcard print, 1908
5 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in. (139 mm x 88 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916), Photographers. Artist associated with 1422 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Abdul Hamid II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (1842-1918), Reigned 1876-1909. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Alfonso XIII, King of Spain (1886-1941), Reigned 1886-1931. Sitter in 22 portraits. Identify
- Carol I, King of Romania (1839-1914), Reigned 1881-1914. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Chulalongkorn, King of Siam (1853-1910), Reigned 1868-1910. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Ferdinand I, Tsar of Bulgaria (1861-1948), Reigned 1887-1918. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Francis Joseph I, Emperor of Austria (1830-1916), Reigned 1848-1916. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Frederick VIII, King of Denmark (1843-1912), Reigned 1906-12; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- George I, King of Greece (1845-1913), King of the Hellenes, reigned 1863-1913; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Guangxu, Emperor of China (1871-1908), Reigned 1875-1908. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Gustav V, King of Sweden (1858-1950), Reigned 1907-50. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Haakon VII, King of Norway (1872-1957), Reigned 1905-57. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- King Manuel II of Portugal (1889-1932), Reigned 1908-10; son of King Carlos I and Queen Amélie. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Meiji, Emperor of Japan (1852-1912), Reigned 1867-1912. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- King Peter I of Serbia (1844-1921), Last King of Serbia, reigned 1903-18 and first King of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, reigned 1918-21. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Victor Emmanuel III, King of Italy (1869-1947), Reigned 1900-46. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia (1859-1941), Reigned 1888-1918. Sitter in 47 portraits. Identify
- Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands (1880-1962), Reigned 1890-1948. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cannadine, Sir David (Introduction); Cooper, Tarnya; Stewart, Louise; MacGibbon, Rab; Cox, Paul; Peltz, Lucy; Moorhouse, Paul; Broadley, Rosie; Jascot-Gill, Sabina, Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits, 2018 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, USA, 7 October 2018 -3 February 2019. Bendigo Art Gallery, Australia, 16 March - 14 July 2019.), p. 18
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1908back to top
Current affairsHenry Asquith replaces Henry Campbell-Bannerman as Liberal leader and Prime Minister, with David Lloyd George taking control of the Exchequer. Asquith and Lloyd George embark on a bold programme of social reform, laying the foundations of the Welfare State, introducing government pensions this year and later a system of National Insurance.
The first aeroplane for the British army is built by the American, Samuel Cody.
Art and scienceE.M. Forster's novel A Room with a View is published, following the experiences of a young woman, Lucy Honeychurch, in the repressed culture of Edwardian England.
The French art critic Louis Vauxcelles first uses the term 'cubism' to refer to a landscape painting by Georges Braque.
InternationalKing Carlos of Portugal and his heir, Prince Luis Filipe, are killed by assassins from the Republican trying to provoke a revolution. Carlos I, unpopular because of his extravagant lifestyle and extramarital affairs, was succeeded by his younger son, Manuel, the last monarch of the Braganza dynasty.
Following the death of the Guangxu Emperor in China, his two year old nephew replaces him, becoming the the last Manchu emperor of China.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.