'Some Famous Vocalists'
'Some Famous Vocalists'
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
bromide postcard print, 1900s
5 1/4 in. x 3 3/8 in. (134 mm x 85 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916), Photographers. Artist associated with 1422 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Dame Marie Louise Cecilie Emma Albani (née Lajeunesse) (1847-1930), Soprano. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Andrew Black (1859?-1920), Baritone. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Dame Clara Ellen Butt (1872-1936), Singer. Sitter in 51 portraits. Identify
- Enrico Caruso (1873-1921), Italian opera singer. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- John Coates (1865-1941), Tenor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Ada Crossley (1874-1929), Singer. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Benjamin Grey ('Ben') Davies (1858-1943), Singer. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Louise Kirkby Lunn (1873-1930), Opera singer. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Edward Lloyd (1845-1927), Tenor singer. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- John Francis McCormack (1884-1945), Irish singer. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Dame Nellie Melba (Helen Porter Mitchell) (1861-1931), Opera singer. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Robert Watkin Mills (1856-1930), Baritone vocalist. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919), Singer; sister of Carlotta Patti. Sitter associated with 56 portraits. Identify
- Robert Radford (1874-1933), Concert and operatic bass vocalist. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Robert Henry Kennerley Rumford (1870-1957), Baritone singer. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Santley (1834-1922), Baritone singer. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
- Luisa Tetrazzini (1871-1940), Italian opera singer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Edna Thornton (1875-1964), Contralto. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1900back to top
Current affairsThe Conservatives return to power, after the Prime Minister Lord Salisbury calls a general election, known as the 'Khaki election', on the back of huge jingoistic support for the Boer War.
The Labour Representation Committee (LRC) is founded from a coalition of socialist groups; they win two seats in the 1900 election and Ramsay Macdonald is appointed secretary. The Labour politician Keir Hardie is also returned to Parliament for Merthyr Tydfilin Wales.
Art and scienceGerman physicist Max Planck proposes the concept of the quantum theory. Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published. In the text, Freud outlines his theory of dream analysis, crucial to the study of the unconscious, and introduces key concepts in psychoanalysis, such as the Ego.
The Paris International Exhibition, attended by more than 50 million people and including over 76,000 exhibitors, marks the heyday of Art Nouveau.
InternationalIn China the Boxer rebellion takes place. The Boxers were anti-imperialist and against foreign influence in trade, religion, politics and technology in the final years of the Manchu rule. The Boxers invade Beijing, killing 230 foreigners and Chinese Christians. The rebellion is suppressed by a multinational coalition of 20,000 troops, with China being forced to pay large war reparations, contributing to growing nationalist resentment against the Qing dynasty.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints