Oxford rowing crew, 1928
Oxford rowing crew, 1928
by Mrs Albert Broom (Christina Livingston)
bromide postcard print, 1928
3 3/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (87 mm x 138 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper
Artistback to top
- Mrs Albert Broom (Christina Livingston) (1862-1939), Photographer. Artist associated with 94 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- G.M. Brander, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir James Herbert Croft, 11th Bt (1907-1941), Amateur rower. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Godber (1908-2009), Physician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- M.C. Graham, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- W.S. Llewellyn, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Hurtle Cummins Morphett (1906-1992), Amateur rower. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Patrick Wyndham Murray-Threipland (1904-1957), Amateur rower. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- T.W. Shaw, Amateur rower. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Noel Eve Whiting (1905-1986), Civil servant and amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1928back to top
Current affairsThe Representation of the People Act 1928 grants women the same rights to vote as men. Building on reform of 1918, this Act lowered the voting age for women from 30 to 21, and removed the ownership of property requirements.
Art and scienceAlexander Fleming discovers penicillin. The Scottish scientist's identification of the first antibiotic revolutionised the treatment of infection and is a landmark in medical history. By the Second World War, penicillin was being used to treat wounded soldiers and had a major impact on survival rates of those with infected wounds.
InternationalStalin announces the Soviet Union's first Five-Year plan of economic development. Based on Lenin's New Economic Policy, the Five-Year Plans aimed to expand the country's economy through rapid centralised industrialisation.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Rebel women
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews