Oxford rowing crew, 1929
1 portrait of A. Graham
Oxford rowing crew, 1929
by Mrs Albert Broom (Christina Livingston)
bromide postcard print, 1929
3 3/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (87 mm x 138 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper
Artistback to top
- Mrs Albert Broom (Christina Livingston) (1862-1939), Photographer. Artist associated with 94 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- P.D. Barr, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir George Godber (1908-2009), Physician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- A. Graham, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- J.A. Ingles, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Carl Juel-Brockdorff, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- J.M. Macdonald, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Hurtle Cummins Morphett (1906-1992), Amateur rower. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Godfrey Vyvyan Stopford (1909-1989), Rowing cox, rowing coach and stock broker. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- D.E. Tinne, Amateur rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1929back to top
Current affairsThe first election held under universal suffrage is a victory for Labour. Ramsay Macdonald returned for his second term as Prime Minster, and appointed Margaret Grace Bondfield as the first woman Cabinet Minister.
Art and scienceTwo classic books about the First World War are published: All Quiet on the Western Front, by war veteran, Erich Maria Remarque, tells of the horrors of war and the returning German soldiers' feelings of detachment from civilian life; while Robert Grave's autobiography Goodbye to All That, aimed to describe the author's experiences of the war so that they 'need never be thought about again'.
InternationalThe 24th October 1929 becomes known as Black Thursday when the US Stock Exchange Collapses and millions are lost. The event was the start of the Wall Street Crash, which in turn contributed towards the Great Depression: a major international recession that lasted through most of the 1930s.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Rebel women
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints