Ralph Simons (Symons)
Ralph Simons (Symons)
by Georg Siegmund Facius, published by William Richardson, after Thomas Kerrich, after Unknown artist
stipple and line engraving, published 1 August 1803
7 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (190 mm x 140 mm) plate size; 12 1/4 in. x 9 1/4 in. (311 mm x 234 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
- Georg Siegmund Facius (circa 1750-before 1814), Stipple engraver. Artist associated with 22 portraits.
- Thomas Kerrich (1748-1828), Cambridge University Librarian, antiquary and draughtsman. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Richardson (active 1777-1814), Bookseller, printseller and auctioneer. Artist associated with 396 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6556 portraits.
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings