by Ida Kar
film negative, 1960
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1567 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, London)
Events of 1960back to top
Current affairsPrince Andrew is born, the third child of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.
The Contraceptive Pill is introduced in England, dramatically changing the nation's approach to sex and relationships, and significantly contributing to the 1960s culture of liberation.
Art and sciencePenguin books defend D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover against charges of obscenity by demonstrating that the novel was of literary merit. The 'not guilty' verdict was seen as a victory for free speech and marked the beginning if a new era of liberalism.
The satirical revue Beyond the Fringe launches the careers of Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonathan Miller.
InternationalHarold Macmillan delivers his 'wind of change' speech to the South African Parliament in Cape Town, announcing Britain's decision to grant independence to many of her colonies. The speech recognised the emergence of African nationalism, and criticised the policy of Apartheid in South Africa.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Private View
- Artists in Close-Up
- Learn more
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Benjamin's Britain
- Ida Kar in Cuba
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Women's History Month
- Photographs 1965-2006
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.