by Unknown photographer
bromide postcard print, 1900s
3 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (88 mm x 139 mm) overall
Given by Colin C. Davies, 2017
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 478 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alexandra of Hanover and Cumberland (later Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin) (1882-1963), Wife of Frederick Francis IV, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin; daughter of Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover and 3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover and 3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale (1845-1923), Son of George V, King of Hanover. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- George I, King of Greece (1845-1913), King of the Hellenes, reigned 1863-1913; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Prince George William of Hanover (1880-1912), Son of Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover and 3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Maria Feodorovna, Empress of Russia (Princess Dagmar) (1847-1928), Wife of Alexander III, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Christian IX, King of Denmark; sister of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 38 portraits. Identify
- Princess Marie Louise, Grand Duchess of Baden (1879-1948), Wife of Prince Maximilian, Grand Duke of Baden; daughter of Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover and 3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Olga, Queen of Greece (1851-1926), Consort of George I, King of Greece; daughter of Constantine, Grand Duke of Russia. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 110 portraits. Identify
Events of 1900back to top
Current affairsThe Conservatives return to power, after the Prime Minister Lord Salisbury calls a general election, known as the 'Khaki election', on the back of huge jingoistic support for the Boer War.
The Labour Representation Committee (LRC) is founded from a coalition of socialist groups; they win two seats in the 1900 election and Ramsay Macdonald is appointed secretary. The Labour politician Keir Hardie is also returned to Parliament for Merthyr Tydfilin Wales.
Art and scienceGerman physicist Max Planck proposes the concept of the quantum theory. Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published. In the text, Freud outlines his theory of dream analysis, crucial to the study of the unconscious, and introduces key concepts in psychoanalysis, such as the Ego.
The Paris International Exhibition, attended by more than 50 million people and including over 76,000 exhibitors, marks the heyday of Art Nouveau.
InternationalIn China the Boxer rebellion takes place. The Boxers were anti-imperialist and against foreign influence in trade, religion, politics and technology in the final years of the Manchu rule. The Boxers invade Beijing, killing 230 foreigners and Chinese Christians. The rebellion is suppressed by a multinational coalition of 20,000 troops, with China being forced to pay large war reparations, contributing to growing nationalist resentment against the Qing dynasty.
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints