'Costume de Bal, 1799'
'Costume de Bal, 1799'
by 'H. le L.'
hand-coloured lithograph, 1799
9 5/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (245 mm x 183 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Ball dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Full dress
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Half robes; half gowns; demi-habillement; tunic dresses
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Round gowns; round dresses
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Classical Greek hairstyles
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Classical influence
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Classical ornament and decoration
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Tassels
- Flowers and plants
- Gloves and gauntlets
- Vases, pots and urns
Events of 1799back to top
Current affairsThe Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.
Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and scienceThe Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.
The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
InternationalSuccessful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.
British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom.
Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.
The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.