'Costume de Bal, 1799'
1 of 16 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Hair - Classical Greek hairstyles'
'Costume de Bal, 1799'
by 'H. le L.'
hand-coloured lithograph, 1799
9 5/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (245 mm x 183 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Ball dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Full dress
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Half robes; half gowns; demi-habillement; tunic dresses
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Round gowns; round dresses
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Classical Greek hairstyles
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Classical influence
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Classical ornament and decoration
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Tassels
- Flowers and plants
- Gloves and gauntlets
- Vases, pots and urns
Events of 1799back to top
Current affairsThe Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.
Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and scienceThe Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.
The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
InternationalSuccessful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.
British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom.
Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.
The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints