'Full Dress', February 1809
5 of 11 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Dresses - Stomachers'
'Full Dress', February 1809
published by John Bell, published in La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine
hand-coloured stipple engraving, published 1 February 1809
8 7/8 in. x 4 5/8 in. (225 mm x 119 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- John Bell (1745-1831), Publisher. Artist associated with 88 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine (1806-1832), Magazine. Artist associated with 58 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the issue for January 1809:
Evening Dress. A round robe, with short train of claret-coloured crape or muslin; a fluted ribband round the bottom of the same colour; a French stomacher front of white satin, either plain or laced with silver cord, and trimmed with narrow vandyke lace, which is continued round the back and shoulders; a white satin long sleeve, edged as the stomacher, or with a deep antique cuff of lace. A square mantle of white net, embroidered in large spots or small stars of silver, and edged with vandyke trimming; sometimes this graceful appendage is formed entirely of lace, at others of gossamer satin, edged with swansdown. A Spanish hat of white satin, with frosted silver plume and loop. Pearl necklace, earrings, bracelets, and armlets. White satin shoes, with silver embroidered toes. Gloves of French kid; and Opera fan of carved amber.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Indispensables; reticules; ridicules
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Round train dresses
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Stomachers
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crape; Crêpe
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Spanish hats
- Fashion Plates: Influences - 16th century influence
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Medieval influence
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Spanish influence
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Cloaks; mantles
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Bangles and bracelets
- Jewellery - Brooches, buckles and pins
- Jewellery - Earrings
- Jewellery - Pearls
- Purses, bags and cases
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.
Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.
Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.
Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.
Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.
Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.
James Madison is elected President of the United States.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.