'Evening Full Dress June 1809'
'Evening Full Dress June 1809'
published by John Bell, published in La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine
hand-coloured etching and stipple engraving, published 1 July 1809
8 7/8 in. x 5 1/4 in. (225 mm x 132 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- John Bell (1745-1831), Publisher. Artist associated with 88 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine (1806-1832), Magazine. Artist associated with 57 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the issue for June 1809:
No. 1. – The Elvira Dress. This dress is composed of yellow crape, with a train about half a yard in length; the front of the skirt forming a deep vandyke (to the point of which is suspended a tassel), and is embroidered round the edge in two shades of brown chenille; the sleeves are formed of several rows of plaits crossed on the arm. To complete the whole of this elegant dress, there is worn with it a jacket of yellow satin, which is formed with three deep vandykes behind and two in front; the bosom square, with three straps across the centre, which are fastened with diamond brooches; the points of this jacket, front, back, and shoulder straps, are embroidered at the edges the same as the dress, which is worn over a slip of white satin, likewise embroidered round the bottom, and the sleeves of which appear below the crape over it and are finished at the bottom with chenille embroidered in form of a vandyke with the point turned upwards, the centre filled up with a sprig.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Full dress
- Fashion Plates: Bodices - Jackets; jacket bodices
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Elvira dresses
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Robes
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Slips
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crape; Crêpe
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Classical influence
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Tassels
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Earrings
- Jewellery - Pearls
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
- Jewellery - Precious stones
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.
Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.
Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.
Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.
Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.
Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.
James Madison is elected President of the United States.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.