'Evening full Dress in March 1809'
'Evening full Dress in March 1809'
published by John Bell, published in La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine
hand-coloured etching and stipple engraving, published 1 April 1809
8 7/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. (226 mm x 131 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- John Bell (1745-1831), Publisher. Artist associated with 88 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine (1806-1832), Magazine. Artist associated with 58 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the issue for March 1809:
No. 2. – Evening Dress. A round robe of green velvet, with antique bodice, and stomacher of blended gold and velvet. Short full sleeve, ornamented à-la-Spanish, to correspond. A plain gold lace placed round the bottom just above the hem, and also round the waist. A shade of Paris net across the back, edged with gold, and fastened on the shoulders with a gold or emerald brooch. A deep antique lace laid flat round the bosom and back, with a drawn tucker above. Hair confined in a gold caul behind and in full curls in front, with the Cleopatra diadem of emeralds and gold. Earrings, necklace, bracelets, and armlets to correspond. Shoes, amber or white satin. Fan of carved ivory. An occasional scarf, or shawl, of cream-coloured or white French silk, with gold or coloured embroidered body.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Fire screens; face screens
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Round gowns; round dresses
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Stomachers
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Velvet
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Cauls
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Cleopatra diadems
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Classical influence
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Egyptian influence
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Spanish influence
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Tuckers; chemise-tuckers
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Shawls
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Spanish sleeves; slashed sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Amulets and religious symbology
- Jewellery - Bangles and bracelets
- Jewellery - Earrings
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
- Jewellery - Precious stones
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.
Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.
Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.
Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.
Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.
Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.
James Madison is elected President of the United States.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.