'Evening Dresses for April 1810'
'Evening Dresses for April 1810'
published by John Bell, published in La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine
hand-coloured etching and stipple engraving, published 1 April 1810
8 5/8 in. x 4 7/8 in. (218 mm x 124 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- John Bell (1745-1831), Publisher. Artist associated with 88 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine (1806-1832), Magazine. Artist associated with 57 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the issue for March 1810:
No. 1. – Evening Dress. A robe of amaranthus figured sarsnet, made to sit high in the neck, with a full cuff of lace; long sleeves with short loose tops trimmed with swansdown. A turban of amaranthus crape and velvet. Gold brooch and earrings. Swansdown muff. White kid gloves and shoes. Hair in light ringlet curls.
No. 2. – Evening Dress. A round dress of white muslin made high over the bosom, with short sleeves rimmed with lace, and ornamented round the bottom with three rows of small tucks. A spotted ermine tippet. A cap composed of fluted satin and lace, bound in tight to the head, and ornamented with a full bunch of apple blossom. Earrings and brooch of gold. Gloves and shoes of white kid. Hair in tight round curls.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Muffs
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Tippets; boas
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Robes
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Round gowns; round dresses
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crape; Crêpe
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Sarsnet; sarcenet
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Velvet
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Kid shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Dress caps
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Turbans
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Classical influence
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Medieval influence
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Lace
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Swansdown
- Fur accessories
- Jewellery - Brooches, buckles and pins
- Jewellery - Earrings
Events of 1810back to top
Current affairsSerious 'Burdett and Liberty' riots break out in London in support of radical MP Sir Francis Burdett who had been arrested for denouncing the House of Common's decision to bar journalists from some debates.
Princess Amelia dies triggering renewed bout of illness in her father, George III.
Art and scienceSir Walter Scott publishes his chivalrous, medieval ballad, The Lady of the Lake, set on Loch Katrine in Perthshire.
Kennett and Avon Trunk Canal is completed.
First Savings Bank is set up by financier Henry Duncan.
InternationalMadame De Stael writes De l'Allemagne which portrays Germany as a model of Romantic nationalism for emerging revolutionary nations. It was banned by Napoleon but published in London to great acclaim.
Lisbon besieged. Wellington takes shelter behind the fortified lines of the Torres Vedras and the French army are forced to retreat.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints