'Evening Full Dress', December 1811
'Evening Full Dress', December 1811
published by John Bell, published in La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine
hand-coloured etching and stipple engraving, published 1 December 1811
8 5/8 in. x 4 5/8 in. (218 mm x 117 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- John Bell (1745-1831), Publisher. Artist associated with 88 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- La Belle Assemblée or Bell’s Court and Fashionable Magazine (1806-1832), Magazine. Artist associated with 57 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the issue for November 1811:
A gossamer satin robe of French grey or celestial blue, with a demi train; stripes of white lace let in the cross way of the skirt, and relieved by a very narrow bordering of black velvet: a broad lace of Vandyke pattern round the bottom; short sleeves fastened up in front, by a row of pearls. Dress lace tippet, à-la-Duchesse d'Angouleme, edged with a border of Vandyke lace. The hair in simple and waving curls next the face, à-la-Greque; head-dress composed of plaited braids of hair and pearls, surmounted with a large red cornelian ornament, in the form of a diamond, set round with small pearls; the hair brought in a knot on the back of the head, surrounded with a row of pearls; necklace of the same valuable material, in two rows. Drop earrings composed of the entire pearl, which should be large. A square cornelian brooch, set in gold, with a drop depending of pearl, to answer the earrings. Long round tippet of swansdown. White kid gloves, wrinkled so as to cover very little of the arm below the elbow. Slippers of kid the colour of the gown, the toe more pointed than usual, with small pearl or white bugle rosettes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Tippets; boas
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Full dress
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Robes
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Kid shoes
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Classical Greek hairstyles
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Head-dresses of hair
- Fashion Plates: Influences - 17th century influence
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Medieval influence
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Lace
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Brooches, buckles and pins
- Jewellery - Hair ornaments
- Jewellery - Pearls
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
Events of 1811back to top
Current affairsGeorge III's insanity is finally publicly admitted amidst arguments in Parliament over the credibility of his doctors. George, Prince of Wales is appointed Regent despite doubts over his capacity to rule effectively. This prompts the Prince's final split with the Catholic Mrs Fitzherbert, his clandestine wife
Art and scienceJohn Loudon McAdam presents his new road surfacing technique to Parliament.
Jane Austen publishes Sense and Sensibility.
Sculptor Francis Leggatt Chantrey exhibits at the Royal Academy for the first time with a celebrated bust of the radical John Horne Tooke.
InternationalBattle of Albuera; British invade French-held Badajoz in Spain under William Carr Beresford and are victorious over Marshal Soult.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints