Head-dresses, October 1825
Head-dresses, October 1825
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, published 1 October 1825
8 1/2 in. x 4 1/2 in. (215 mm x 114 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
1. Fine British Leghorn hat; the brim large, flat, and of equal breadth; the crown moderately high; round it is a lilac satin ribbon, with a bow on the left side, from which rises a fanciful trimming in lilac gros de Naples, edged with straw-colour satin, terminating at the top of the crown a little beyond the front. Another trimming is introduced midway, and rising circularly, finishes with a small bouquet of fancy flowers on the left side: a bouquet is also placed on the right side, but higher. Strings of lilac satin, and a bow on the right, inside the brim.
2. Turban of scarlet or pomegranate-colour crèpe lisse, with large, close longitudinal folds, confined in front by a broad gold band placed obliquely; the head-piece of gros de Naples, pointed in front, and edged with gold lace.
3. Cap of white crèpe lisse; the crown circular, and formed by two rows of large puffs, edged with pink satin, having a wreath of China roses beneath the upper row, and round the head-piece, within each puff, a sprig of arbutus and geranium: the border is very full and deep, and ties under the chin with pink satin ribbon.
4. Pale blue gauze dress hat, fluted, and the brim edged with narrow blond; the crown surrounded by a wreath of blue satin leaves, tied in pairs by a satin knot, each leaf deeply notched. White ostrich feathers are tastefully arranged round the crown, the highest being in the front.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crêpe lisse
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Dress caps
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Fabric hats
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Leghorn
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Ostrich feathers
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Turbans
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Turkish influence
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bows; noeuds; coques; rosettes; choux
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Lace
- Hats and head attire
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.