'Sombreros', January 1825
12 of 69 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Velvet'
'Sombreros', January 1825
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, published 1 January 1825
8 1/2 in. x 4 1/2 in. (215 mm x 114 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
1. Bonnet of royal purple terry velvet or velours épingle; the brim broad and flat, with a corded satin edge; the crown high and rounded at the top, and partially covered with a fichu of velvet, bound with satin nearly half an inch in breadth, and ornamented with a small twisted silk cord of the same colour: the trimmings in front are large, and finished in the same manner; the centre one is long and narrow, and placed perpendicularly, concealing the termination of those on each side: bows of pearl-edge satin ribbon are disposed about the crown; long strings of the same inside the brim.
2. Black velvet dress hat, bound with gold lace; from a small bow in front, the brim forms double, and small white marabouts are introduced between; it is closed behind in a similar manner: broad gold band round the crown, and at the top four curved ornaments, bound also with gold lace; marabouts in front and on the right side.
3. Tartarian turban, formed of a richly shaded stripe silk kerchief.
4. Cap of pink and white crepe lisse, with double border and broad strings of the same: the crown is high; the back part of white crepe lisse, full, and arranged by five flat pink satin bands placed perpendicularly, and inserted in the pink satin band at the bottom of the caul: the front is formed by bouffants of alternate pink and white crepe lisse, interspersed with pink satin ornaments of a papilionaceous shape, with a profusion of winter cherries or alkekengi, and rosebuds above.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crêpe lisse
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Silk
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Velvet
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Dress caps
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Fabric hats
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Turbans
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bows; noeuds; coques; rosettes; choux
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Fruit
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Lace
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Marabout; marabou feathers; willow plumes
- Hats and head attire
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.