'Carriage Dress', August 1825
3 of 91 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples'
'Carriage Dress', August 1825
published by J. Robins & Co, published in The Ladies' Pocket Magazine
hand-coloured etching, published 1 August 1825
5 1/4 in. x 2 7/8 in. (133 mm x 74 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
Pelisse of marshmallow-blossom gros de Naples, trimmed round the border, and down the front, which is close fastened under a trimming of the same material, en cretes de coqs. The body en gerbe; sleeves moderately full, and confined at the wrists, with three bouillonés of silk, one above the other. Round pelerine cape, edged with two rouleaux, over which depends a double-cape collar of muslin, the same form as the cape, edged with narrow lace. Hat of white gros de Naples, trimmed with puffs of yellow and of marshmallow-blossom sarcenet, and surmounted by three small white feathers. Sea-green gloves, and black satin slippers.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Eyeglasses and spectacles
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Eyeglasses and spectacles - Quizzing glasses
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Carriage dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Sarsnet; sarcenet
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Brides
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Fabric hats
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Pelerines; fichu-pelerines; pelerine capes; pelerine tippets; pelerine collerettes
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Pelisses
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bouillons; puffings
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Lace
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Rouleaux
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.