'Costumes Parisiens', number 40
'Costumes Parisiens', number 40
published in Le Journal des Dames et des Modes
hand-coloured etching and line engraving, circa September 1825
7 1/8 in. x 4 1/8 in. (180 mm x 106 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistback to top
- Le Journal des Dames et des Modes (1797-1839), French magazine. Artist associated with 12 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in issue number 51 of the magazine:
The two figures were published on separate plates in issue number 51 on 15 September 1825, where they were described:
Chapeau de gaze. Robe d'étoffe dite andrinople, garnie de volans découpés. Canezou de mousseline. [Hat of gauze. Dress of fabric of Andrinople trimmed with jagged flounces. Muslin canezou].
Chapeau de bois blanc orné de marabouts et d'une blonde montée sur les brides. Robe de gros de Naples garnie de papillons de satin par Mme Bouhot. Marches de gaze. [Hat of ornate whitewood with marabou feathers. Dress of gros de Naples trimmed with satin butterflies by Mrs Bouhot. Gauze oversleeves[?]].
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Eyeglasses and spectacles - Scissors-glasses
- Fashion Plates: Bodices - Corsages à la vierge
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Round gowns; round dresses
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Chip hats and bonnets
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Fabric hats
- Fashion Plates: Influences - French fashions
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Ruffs; collarettes
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Canezous
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Shawls
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Gigot sleeves; leg-of-mutton sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Over-sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Marabout; marabou feathers; willow plumes
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Bangles and bracelets
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints