'Carriage Dress', December 1827
'Carriage Dress', December 1827
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 December 1827
8 3/8 in. x 4 3/4 in. (214 mm x 121 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
High dress of green Merino, with gigot sleeves and broad wristbands, fastened with hooks and eyes, and confining the gloves, which are of rose-colour kid; the skirt is trimmed with two deep flounces of the same material as the dress, headed and edged with a shawl pattern border of roses. Cloak of tomata colour gros-de-Berlin, lined with ermine, made very long and full, and drawn at the waist behind; the arm-holes are bound with tomata-colour velvet, like the large circular cape, which is fastened in front with a gold clasp à la militaire; square collar, falling over and displaying the ermine lining. Blue silk Navarino handkerchief tied round the throat. White gros de Naples hat, with a wide and spreading brim, ornamented beneath with rows of tomata-colour satin ribbon, on each side united by a ribbon extending across the front; the crown is decorated with white and tomata-colour satin trimming, and white ostrich feathers disposed in front and at the sides; satin string en bride. Muff of ermine, and shoes of dark chestnut colour kid.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Muffs
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Carriage dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Berlin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Merino
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Kid shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Capotes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Ostrich feathers
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Handkerchiefs
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Cloaks; mantles
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Gigot sleeves; leg-of-mutton sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Ermine
- Fur accessories
- Hats and head attire
- Jewellery - Brooches, buckles and pins
Events of 1827back to top
Current affairsLord Liverpool suffers a stroke and is forced to resign as Prime Minister. George Canning succeeds him only to die after four months in office.
Art and scienceUniversity College London, the first metropolitan university in England, is founded specifically to educate dissenters excluded from Oxford and Cambridge. Whig politician Henry Brougham, writer Thomas Campbell and financier and philanthropist Isaac Goldsmid are its principal patrons.
InternationalBritain, France and Russia sign a treaty in London agreeing to intervene in the Greek War of Independence. Allied troops under General Edward Codrington subsequently destroy Turkish and Egyptian fleets at the Battle of Navarino.
Western Australia is explored for the first time by Captain Stirling.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.