'Morning Dress', September 1828
3 of 32 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Organdie; organdy; book muslin'
'Morning Dress', September 1828
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 September 1828
8 1/2 in. x 4 3/8 in. (215 mm x 110 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
Jaconot muslin dress, made as high as the throat, where it is finished with a narrow band, confining the fulness of the body; a small circular cape, drawn with blue satin ribbon, and trimmed with work half a quarter deep, commences in front of the shoulder and extends across the back: the sleeves are à la Gabrielle, being full above the elbow, and below confined by three drawings to the shape of the arm. The skirt is set on with equal fulness all round, and has a flounce half a yard deep, headed by a trimming composed of a rouleau adorned with demi-whorls, made of book muslin, gathered very full, and edged with blue braiding; a second whorl trimming divides the flounce half way: blue satin cestus, pointed in front. Provincial French cap of tulle made of one piece, and drawn full round the head: it is greatly elevated, and falls back from the summit in two divisions like lappets, the ends trimmed with blond lace, and reaching as low as the shoulder: bows of blue satin ribbon are tastefully dispersed; and the border, being very full, forms a rosette in front, and bows of blue satin ribbon intermingle with the curls of hair round the face. Ear-rings and necklace of rock coral; broad Grecian scroll bracelets of gold. Rose-colour gloves; blue corded silk shoes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Belts - Cesti
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Belts - Swiss belts; pointed ceintures
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Morning dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Jaconet
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Organdie; organdy; book muslin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Tulle
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Silk shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Normandy head-dresses
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Undress caps
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Capes
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Gabrielle sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Classical ornament and decoration
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Rouleaux
- In profile
- Jewellery - Bangles and bracelets
- Jewellery - Earrings
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.