'Carriage Costume', April 1828
'Carriage Costume', April 1828
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 April 1828
8 1/2 in. x 4 3/8 in. (215 mm x 110 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist or producer associated with 96 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist or producer associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
Dress of lilac gros de Naples, made rather high, the fulness of the body drawn towards the shoulders: the sleeves are en gigot, ornamented with two rows of pendent lilac-leaves stiffened, of the same material as the dress; one row is placed just above the elbow, the other between that and the waist. The skirt is set on full, and trimmed with two deep flounces, each headed by a row of pendent lilac-leaves: satin sash of the same colour. Double pelerine of embroidered tulle; the shape circular, and very deeply vandyked with a stiffened projecting collar, having a rose-colour satin ribbon drawn through it at the top, and tied in front: the bows small, the ends long, reaching to the lower flounce, and terminating in double bows. Cap of tulle; the border of blond, very full, and arranged in large puffs; the crown high, with trimmings of blond, and a large radiated bow of rose-colour satin, placed a little towards the left side. Hair en grand boucle. Gold ear-rings and bracelets; white kid gloves; black satin shoes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Indispensables; reticules; ridicules
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Carriage dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Half dress; demi-toilet
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Tulle
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Half dress caps
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Pelerines; fichu-pelerines; pelerine capes; pelerine tippets; pelerine collerettes
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Gigot sleeves; leg-of-mutton sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bows; noeuds; coques; rosettes; choux
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Embroidery
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Bangles and bracelets
- Purses, bags and cases
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.