'Promenade Dress', November 1828
1 of 2 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Thibet cloth'
'Promenade Dress', November 1828
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 November 1828
8 1/2 in. x 4 3/8 in. (216 mm x 110 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist or producer associated with 96 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist or producer associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
Dress of black satin Turque; the bodice made close and long-waisted, laced before and behind, and also pointed: the sleeves are very large to the elbow, and twice confined with black velvet bands, fastened by jet buckles. The sleeves are smaller from the elbow to the wrist, and are there confined by Berlin cameo bracelets of cast iron. The skirt is very full, and plaited in all round, and trimmed with a puffing of black crèpe lisse and lanceola-leaves, pointing upwards: chemisette within the dress, and full ruche. Large circular hat of black Leghorn, tied under the chin on the right side with trimming, irradiating from thence to the edge of the brim; papilionaceous bows of black gauze ribbon are placed on each side towards the top of the crown. Lavender-colour gloves; black prunella shoes; Thibet shawl, of lavender-colour.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Mourning Dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Promenade dress; walking dress; Modes de Longchamps; toilette de ville
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crêpe lisse
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Prunella
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Thibet cloth
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Leghorn
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Shawls
- Fashion Plates: Undergarments - Chemisettes; habit-shirts
- Gloves and gauntlets
- Hats and head attire
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.