'Evening Dress', February 1828
'Evening Dress', February 1828
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 February 1828
8 1/2 in. x 4 3/8 in. (216 mm x 110 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
The body of scarlet velvet, made close to the shape, and quite plain; pointed in front, and ornamented with a cruciform bow, and edged with gold lace: circular epaulettes, edged with gold on either side. Farinet tucker, of longitudinal folds of white crèpe lisse: sleeves of scarlet velvet, short, full, and stiffened; long sleeves, of white crèpe lisse, full to the wrist, where they are terminated by broad gold filigree bracelets, with cameo clasps. The skirt is of white China crape, finished with a broad wadded hem, and ornamented with two flounces of white crèpe lisse, cut bias and double, edged with narrow scarlet velvet, and headed by a row of Vandykes or dents de loup. The hair is parted in front, and arranged tastefully in curls on each side. Coronet shape head-dress of jewels, set in gold and silver gauze. Necklace and ear-rings of filigree gold, adorned with emeralds and pink topazes. Imperial Chinese yellow gauze scarf; white kid gloves, embroidered in the form of a star at the backs, and confined beneath the bracelets; silver tissue shoes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Jewellery - Cameos
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Scarves
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - China crepe
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crêpe lisse
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gauze
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Velvet
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Tissue shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Coronets; diadems; tiaras
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Tuckers; chemise-tuckers
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Mancherons; epaulettes
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Embroidery
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Lace
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Bangles and bracelets
- Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras
- Jewellery - Earrings
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
- Jewellery - Precious stones
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.