'Evening Full Dress', September 1828
'Evening Full Dress', September 1828
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 September 1828
8 1/2 in. x 4 3/8 in. (216 mm x 110 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
Rose-colour gros de Naples dress; the waist long, and pointed in the front and back, and trimmed with a narrow ruche of tulle round the top of the bust: the sleeves are à la Marie Stuart; the upper part being very full, and twice divided by a rose-colour satin band round the arm, and terminated at the wrist by a deep cuff, with Vandykes pointing towards the elbow. The skirt is made without gores, very full and plaited in all round the waist, and is ornamented with a ruche of tulle and a very deep flounce of Chatillon sprigged blond lace, placed about half-way of the skirt, and falls with-in a finger's length of the wadded hem, which touches the ground. The hair is parted in front, and dressed in light and becoming curls on the side and behind. Spanish hat of rose-colour satin, the brim a little turned up on the sides, and a slight declination in front; the crown is low, and adorned with a profusion of white ostrich feathers, fastened by a pink topaz star. Gold necklace and ear-rings; the latter in the form of a leaf and bunch of grapes; vinegarette suspended from a Chinese chain; broad chain bracelet, with circular emerald snaps. Embroidered gauze scarf; white kid gloves; white satin shoes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Scarves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Vinaigrettes
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Full dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Tulle
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Ostrich feathers
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Spanish hats
- Fashion Plates: Influences - Spanish influence
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Marie sleeves; Marie Stuart sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Jewellery - Earrings
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
- Lace and crochet
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.