'Head Dresses', October 1828
18 of 91 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples'
'Head Dresses', October 1828
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 October 1828
8 1/2 in. x 4 7/8 in. (215 mm x 124 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 95 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- The Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashions, Manufactures, &c (1809-1828), Periodical published by Rudolph Ackermann. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
1. Cap of white crèpe lisse, the border very broad, vandyked and edged with scarlet braiding; in a deep puff on the left temple a cardinal flower is placed; the border touches the forehead in front, takes a retrograde direction and rises high on the right side, and is sustained with another branch of the cardinal flower: the head-piece is bound with scarlet satin.
2. Toque of Parisian gauze of a pale Pomona green, folded very deep and standing up from the head-piece, and adorned with several long bows of broad green gauze ribbon; the crown is low and circular.
3. Hat of Aurora or amber-colour gros de Naples; the crown higher in front than behind, and the front of the brim very projecting and shallow at the back, where a small bow is placed, to which a long white ostrich feather is fastened; it lies flat on the brim, and falls below it towards the left or opposite side; a zig-zag puff trimming ornaments the front; broad amber-colour strings.
4. Capote of rose-colour silk, trimmed with a notched ruche at the edge of the brim, and lined with white sarsnet; the crown is high, and in front has two very large stiffened bows like long loops and a triplet of leaves standing erect.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crêpe lisse
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gauze
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Sarsnet; sarcenet
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Silk
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Capotes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Ostrich feathers
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Toques
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Undress caps
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bows; noeuds; coques; rosettes; choux
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Vandyking
- Hats and head attire
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.