Queen Elizabeth I
© National Portrait Gallery, London
Queen Elizabeth I
manufactured by Mattel Inc
moulded plastic, card and acrylic, 2004
15 1/4 in. x 12 in. (386 mm x 305 mm) box
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Mattel Inc (founded 1945), Multinational toy manufacturuer. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 2004back to top
Current affairsArmed robbers raid the Northern Bank in Belfast, stealing £26.5 million. Gunmen entered the homes of two bank officials, kidnapping their families and forcing them to let them into the bank, before loaded cash into vans and drove off. Police and the British and Irish governments claimed that the Provisional IRA was responsible and several of the people arrested had PIRA, Real IRA and Sinn Féin connections.
Art and scienceA fire at Charles Saatchi's art warehouse destroys some of the icons of Brit Art. Hell by Jake and Dinos Chapman, Everyone I Have Ever Slept With and The Hut by Tracey Emin and works by Damien Hirst, Chris Ofili, Sarah Lucas, Gavin Hume and Rachel Whiteread were among the casualties.
InternationalAn earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Boxing Day causes a tsunami that kills nearly 230,000 people when it hit the coasts of Southeast Asia. The earthquake itself was the second most powerful ever recorded on a seismograph and waves from the tsunami - the most devastating in history - were up to 30 metres high.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Tudor Miniatures
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor pick up guides
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- In Conversation: Elizabeth I: Construction of an Icon
12 April, 19:00