'King Henry VIII and his Six Wives'
'King Henry VIII and his Six Wives'
designed by William K. Harper, manufactured by Doulton & Co Ltd
coloured and glazed earthenware, 1990
6 7/8 in. x 7 in. (176 mm x 178 mm) overall
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 26 portraits. Identify
- Anne of Cleves (1515-1557), Fourth Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 13 portraits. Identify
- Catherine Howard (circa 1518-1542), Fifth Queen Consort of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 11 portraits. Identify
- King Henry VIII (1491-1547), Reigned 1509-47. Sitter associated with 98 portraits. Identify
- Jane Seymour (1508 or 1509-1537), Third Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 14 portraits. Identify
- Katherine of Aragon (1485-1536), First Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 16 portraits. Identify
- Katherine Parr (1512-1548), Sixth Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 11 portraits. Identify
Events of 1990back to top
Current affairsMargaret Thatcher introduces a Poll Tax. 'The Community Charge' replaced the old 'Rates' system of local taxation based on the value of property in favour of a flat rate for all householders. With little difference between the tax burden of the poor and the wealthy, opposition was bitter and violent. Following a challenge to her leadership Thatcher stood down as Prime Minister and was replaced by John Major.
Art and scienceTim Berners-Lee invents the World Wide Web. He created the first web-browser and editor, and the first web-server in 1990, building the first website and putting it online in 1991. By making his ideas royalty-free, Berners-Lee made the Internet accessible to all and allowed all users to help build its content.
British beef is banned from schools and hospitals over concerns about BSE ('mad cow disease').
InternationalThe Gulf War breaks out between Iraq and US-led coalition forces. War was declared after Iraq invaded Kuwait, and, following a period of UN economic sanctions against Iraq, hostilities commenced in January 1991. The coalition victory was swift and within three months Iraqi forces withdrew from Kuwait.
Nelson Mandella is released from Prison after 27 years captivity.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Tudor Miniatures
- 'Henry and Katherine Reunited' – Conserving the portrait of Katherine of Aragon
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Loans to the National Gallery
- Adopt a Portrait
- NPG D48090 in 360°
- NPG D48091 in 360°
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.