'Walking Dress', January 1829
'Walking Dress', January 1829
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in R. Ackermann's Repository of Fashions
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 January 1829
8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (204 mm x 107 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
Described in issue number 1 of the magazine:
Gros de Naples pelisse of Byron brown, wadded and lined with white sarsnet and fastened in front. The body is made extremely full, with long shoulder-straps, and nearly two inches in width; they are corded on each side. The collar is stiffened, and falls back, admitting an embroidered cambric ruff. The sleeves are large to the gauntlet cuffs, which are very broad, and button close to the wrists; they are corded, and the upper part pointed. The skirt is very full, and terminated with a plain deep biais trimming of the same material as the pelisse, and turned under so as not to give any indication of a hem: it is headed by three rouleaux. Hat of Byron brown terry velvet, lined with rose-colour satin, and a deep curtain veil of black blond. The crown is rounded at the top, and ornamented in front with large spreading bows of rose-colour satin riband, edged with black, and several large velvet leaves. The strings are long, and of rose-colour satin. Squirrel muff and long tippet; primrose-colour gloves, and black shoes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Muffs
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Tippets; boas
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Promenade dress; walking dress; Modes de Longchamps; toilette de ville
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Cambric
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Brides
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Veils
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Ruffs; collarettes
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Pelisses
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Gauntlet cuffs
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bows; noeuds; coques; rosettes; choux
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Rouleaux
- Gloves and gauntlets
- Hats and head attire
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.