'English Dinner Dress', April 1829
1 portrait matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Spanish points'
'English Dinner Dress', April 1829
published by Rudolph Ackermann, published in R. Ackermann's Repository of Fashions
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published 1 April 1829
8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (204 mm x 109 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
Described in issue number 4 of the magazine:
Dress of lilac gros de Naples, the corsage en draperie regulated in the centre by a perpendicular corded band, and ornamented with a trimming of Spanish points corded, meeting at the commencement in front, and widening as it extends to the shoulders, where the trimming is considerably deeper than at the waist. The back is made to correspond. Short white satin sleeves and long full ones over them of white crepe lisse‚ confined by broad gold bracelets, with gothic clasps at the wrist. The skirt is simply decorated by a deep biais of the same material as the dress, headed by a row of corded Spanish points falling over it. Ceinture of pink satin, corded at the edge, and a rosette bow behind. Spanish hat, of white gros de Naples, placed rather on the right side, ornamented with lilac ostrich feathers, one placed beneath the brim on the left side and brought over to the crown; others very tastefully disposed and falling in different directions; long loose strings of tulle trimmed with narrow blond. Earrings and necklace of emeralds, set in gold; white kid gloves; white satin shoes.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Belts - Ceintures; cinctures
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Dinner dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crêpe lisse
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Tulle
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Brides
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Ostrich feathers
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Spanish hats
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Imbecile sleeves; sleeves à la folle
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Over-sleeves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Spanish points
- Hats and head attire
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
- Jewellery - Precious stones
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.