Half-mourning costume, summer 1837
Half-mourning costume, summer 1837
published in Le Follet, Courrier des Salons, Journal des Modes
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published circa July 1837
8 3/8 in. x 6 in. (213 mm x 151 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistback to top
- Le Follet, Courrier des Salons, Journal des Modes (1829-1892), French magazine. Artist or producer associated with 89 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Also published in The Lady's Magazine and Museum, August 1837, with a description:
This very pretty plate gives another half mourning costume. Dress of black figured mousseline de laine. Corsage tight. Sleeves tight all the way down, with four rather deep frills put on above the elbow (see plate). Capote of grey crape, with a grey ruche round the front, and a bouquet of white flowers placed quite at the left side in a drooping position; four white roses are beneath the front of the capote. Embroidered muslin pelerine, with a falling collar, (see plate) trimmed all round with a gauffred frill. White cambric ruffles, grey kid gloves.
Child. - Frock of grey figured silk. Corsage tight, sleeves with two puffings at top (see plate), round pelerine to match. White trousers. Bonnet of imitation paille de riz, made nearly the cottage shape, with a large rosette bow, and two ends of ribbon placed quite at the right side; grey bavolet. Cambric collar, white gloves, black brodequins.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Mourning Dress
- Fashion Plates: Children - Frocks
- Fashion Plates: Children - Trousers; trowsers; pantaloons; pantalettes
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Crape; Crêpe
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Mousseline de laine
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Silk
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Brodequins
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Bavolets; curtains
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Capotes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Cottage bonnets
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Drawn bonnets
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Rice straw hats and bonnets; paille de riz
- Fashion Plates: Influences - French fashions
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Pelerines; fichu-pelerines; pelerine capes; pelerine tippets; pelerine collerettes
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bows; noeuds; coques; rosettes; choux
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Embroidery
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
Events of 1837back to top
Current affairsThe controversial monarch William IV dies of pneumonia in June leaving no legitimate heirs, and is succeeded to the throne by his niece Victoria, one month after her eighteenth birthday.
The Registration Act of Births, Marriages and Deaths makes it compulsory for all births, marriages and deaths to be registered at a Registry Office.
Art and scienceDickens's second novel Oliver Twist is serialised in Bentley's Magazine. The story of the orphan Oliver is an attack on the Poor Law Amendment Acts (1834), a highly contentious piece of legislation which abolished outdoor relief, effectively increasing entry in the workhouse. The novel, famously made into a musical in 1968, marks Dickens as an outspoken social critic as well as a highly popular and commercial writer.
InternationalThe Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin is killed in a duel with Baron Georges d'Anthès. Considered the founder of modern Russian literature, Pushkin blended Old Slavonic with vernacular Russian and was the first Russian writer to use everyday speech in his poetry. His works include Eugene Onegin.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.