Dinner dress and walking dress, June 1838
10 of 30 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Headwear - Half dress caps'
Dinner dress and walking dress, June 1838
published by Dobbs & Co, published in The Court Magazine and Monthly Critic and Lady's Magazine and Museum
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, published June 1838
9 3/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (237 mm x 147 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
- The Court Magazine and Monthly Critic and Lady's Magazine and Museum (1837-1847), Magazine. Artist associated with 103 portraits.
- Dobbs & Co (active circa 1826-1840), Publishers. Artist associated with 94 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This print was first published in 'Le Follet' where it was described below the image:
Capote en soie recouverte en mousseline et garnie d'une Laitue. Bonnet en tulle de Mme. Pollet, rue Richelieu, 95. Redingote et Robe des ateliers de Melle. Augustine r. Louis-le-Grand, 27 - Fleurs de Chagot fres. (Capote of silk covered with muslin trimmed with a lettuce[?] Bonnet of tulle by Mme. Pollet. Redingote and dress from the ateliers of Melle. Augustine. Flowers by Chagot brothers).
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Belts - Cordelières
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Gloves - Kid gloves
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Handkerchiefs
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Jewellery - Cameos
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Dinner dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Promenade dress; walking dress; Modes de Longchamps; toilette de ville
- Fashion Plates: Bodices - Bodices en coeur
- Fashion Plates: Bodices - Corsages à pointe
- Fashion Plates: Bodices - Cross-over bodices; drapé croisé
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Redingotes
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Robes
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Muslin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Poux-de-soie; poult-de-soie
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Silk
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Tulle
- Fashion Plates: Footwear - Satin shoes
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Bands
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Capotes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Drawn bonnets
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Half dress caps
- Fashion Plates: Influences - French fashions
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Bouillons; puffings
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Tassels
Events of 1838back to top
Current affairsThe Anti-Corn Law league is established in Manchester, led by Richard Cobden and John Bright, aiming to create a fully free-trade economy.
The People's Charter is published, demanding many constitutional amendments that would become central to future democratic reform, including universal male suffrage and secret ballots. Despite having one million signatures (and 5 million by 1848), the petition was rejected.
Slavery is completely abolished.
Art and scienceTurner's The Fighting Temeraire is exhibited at the Royal Academy. The Temeraire, which had broken the line at the Battle of Trafalgar, was a reflection on the rapid changes of the industrial age. This was demonstrated this year when Isambard Brunel's Great Western crosses the Atlantic, in just fifteen days - a ship under sail could take a month.
The London-Birmingham railway is also completed, the line engineered by Robert Stephenson.
InternationalThe first stage in the formation of independent Boer republics in South Africa, as the Republic of Natal is formed in South Africa, following the Boers defeat of the Matabele of Mzilikasi. This comes two years after the Dutch-speaking inhabitants of the British-ruled colony of South Africa set out on the Great Trek, in search of their own independent state.
The Central American Federation, an experimental republic formed of several Latin states splits.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.