Katherine of Aragon
Katherine of Aragon
published by John Player & Sons, after Unknown artist
colour relief halftone cigarette card, 1935
2 5/8 in. x 1 3/8 in. (67 mm x 36 mm) overall
Sitterback to top
- Katherine of Aragon (1485-1536), First Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1935back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin starts his third term as Prime Minister after Ramsay Macdonald resigns due to ill health. Coincidentally, Baldwin's first term in office also came about when the Prime Minister of the time, Bonar Law, stepped down due to illness in 1923.
Art and scienceRobert Watson-Watt demonstrates Radar, showing how an aircraft can be tracked by detecting radio waves reflected off it. During the war, Watson-Watt established a network of machines and operators that helped detect the approach of enemy aircraft in the Battle of Britain.
Penguin publishes its first paperback books, making reading more portable and affordable to a wider audience.
InternationalItaly invades Abyssinia. The invasion of the country now known as Ethiopia was part of Mussolini's plan to create an Italian Empire. It was also an attempt to avenge Abyssinia's victory over the Italian army at Adowa in 1896.
Germany introduces conscription, breaking the disarmament clause of the Treaty of Versailles.
- Tudor Miniatures
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- 'Henry and Katherine Reunited' – Conserving the portrait of Katherine of Aragon
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints