'Evening and walking dresses', July 1844
4 of 7 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Undergarments - Guimpes'
'Evening and walking dresses', July 1844
published by George Henderson, published in The Ladies' Cabinet of Fashion, Music and Romance
hand-coloured etching, published July 1844
7 5/8 in. x 4 3/4 in. (194 mm x 122 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
The plate was described in the August issue of the magazine:
Evening Dress. Organdy robe over white gros de Naples, a low corsage deeply pointed at the bottom, and descending a little in the centre of the bosom, displaying an embroidered guimpe, trimmed with lace standing up. The corsage is finished by a cardinal pelerine moderately deep, very open on the bosom, and embroidered in a light pattern round the border with coral-coloured silk. Manche à la religieuse, demi-long; the cuff is embroidered to correspond. Double skirt, the border of each terminated by a very deep hem, ornamented with two rows of embroidery en suite. The hair disposed in soft bands at the sides, and a full knot behind, is decorated in a simple style with coral-coloured velvet ribbon.
Walking Dress. Robe-redingote of drab-coloured poult de soie, and high corsage, and demi-large sleeve, with a bell mancheron; the front of the corsage is trimmed with an embroidery in soutache of the colour of the silk; it is disposed in the stomacher style, and continued in a reverse form down the front of the skirt. Italian straw chapeau, a round and rather close shape, the interior of the brim trimmed with lace and brides of shaded straw-coloured ribbon; the exterior is covered by a bird of paradise. Shawl mantelet of black filet de soie, trimmed with black lace; it is of a very large size.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Accessories - Handkerchiefs
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Morning walking dress; walking dress
- Fashion Plates: Bodices - Corsages à pointe
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Double skirts; overskirts
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Redingotes
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Gros de Naples
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Net
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Organdie; organdy; book muslin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Poux-de-soie; poult-de-soie
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Bands
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Bird of Paradise plumes
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Leghorn
- Fashion Plates: Influences - 17th century influence
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Shawl mantlets
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - à la religieuse
- Fashion Plates: Sleeves and cuffs - Mancherons; epaulettes
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Embroidery
- Fashion Plates: Undergarments - Guimpes
Events of 1844back to top
Current affairsBritain experiences a railway boom. Peel's government passes a series of Acts creating provision of cheap, regular rail services. George Hudson, the first great railway entrepreneur, who controlled over 1,000 miles of railway track and whose enterprises made York a major commercial and transport hub, becomes known as 'the Railway King'.
Art and scienceDisraeli's Coningsby is published. The first of his 1840s 'Young England' trilogy, it was the cultural manifesto of Disraeli's vision for a new Conservativism.
David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson set up their innovative and pioneering photography studio in Edinburgh, capturing portraits of both Scottish society figures and workers, as well as urban and rural landscape scenes.
InternationalTensions continue to mount in Eastern Europe over Russian imperialist ambitions, as Tsar Nicholas I describes the Ottoman Empire as 'the Sick Man of Europe'.
With the overthrow of the Haitians, the Spanish-speaking portion of the island of Hispaniola gains independence, as the Dominican Republic.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.