Evening dresses, January 1847
13 of 16 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Fashion Plates: Hair - Head-dresses of hair'
Evening dresses, January 1847
published by Elizabeth Henderson, published in The Ladies' Cabinet of Fashion, Music and Romance
hand-coloured etching, published January 1847
7 3/4 in. x 4 7/8 in. (198 mm x 123 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
Described in the magazine:
No. 10. Evening Dress. Rose-coloured velvet robe; a low corsage, very deeply pointed, and trimmed with a berthe of gold blonde lace. Short tight sleeves. Head-dress of hair, ornamented with flowers. Evening mantle, composed of blue and lined with white satin; it is made quite up to the throat, and nearly as long as the dress, with broad robings from the shoulders. The garniture is a rich fringe, an embroidery in passementerie, and fancy ornaments of the same on the shoulders, neck, and waist.
No. 11. Evening Dress. Fawn coloured figured satin robe; a low corsage and short tight sleeves. Mantelet à la princesse of white satin; the back part is composed of three rounded falls, descending very low, embroidered and bordered with a trimming of the same; the scarf ends, which are also very long, correspond. The head-dress is a wreath of velvet foliage, interspersed with flowers.
No. 13. Dinner cap. Composed of tulle, and trimmed with blonde lace, which forms a deep bavolet; the garniture is a wreath of foliage, with gerbes of drooping flowers.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Evening dress
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Satin
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Tulle
- Fashion Plates: Fabrics - Velvet
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Bands
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Head-dresses of hair
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Bavolets; curtains
- Fashion Plates: Headwear - Half dress caps
- Fashion Plates: Lace - Blonde; blond
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Cloaks; mantles
- Fashion Plates: Outer garments - Mantelets à la princesse
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Embroidery
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Flowers
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Fringe
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Leaves
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Passementerie
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Robings
Events of 1847back to top
Current affairsThe 10 Hours Factory Act passed, regulating working hours for women and children under the age of eighteen to a maximum of ten hours a day.
The Communist League is founded in London, and drew up a set of rules and aims, including overthrowing the bourgeoisie and empowering the Proleteriat, and ending class division, forming the basis of Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto (1848).}
Death and emigration resulting from starvation, plague and disease during worst year of the Great Famine in Ireland, known as Black 47.
Art and scienceA good year for novels: Emily Bronte's passionate, rebellious and gothic Wuthering Heightsis published, followed shortly by her sister Charlotte's 'Jane Eyre, a story of a governess's struggle for liberty from social and gender constrictions. Drawing on a similar vein of revolution and rebellious women, William Thackeray's satirical novel Vanity Fair is serialised.
The Don Pacifico affair sparks an international incident, when the Jewish trader's business was burned in an anti-semitic attack in Athens. When the Greek government refused to compensate him, Gibraltar-born Pacifico appealed to the British government. Foreign Minister Palmerston sent a squadron into the Aegean in 1850 to seize goods of the equivalent value, leading to strained relations with Turkey and Russia, and heated debates in Parliament.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.