Hungry Rats in an Empty Barn
35 of 189 portraits of Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey
Hungry Rats in an Empty Barn
by Charles Williams, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published March 1806
9 3/4 in. x 14 1/8 in. (249 mm x 360 mm) plate size; 11 1/4 in. x 15 3/8 in. (285 mm x 392 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford (1766-1839), Landowner; Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. Sitter associated with 26 portraits. Identify
- George Nugent-Temple-Grenville, 1st Marquess of Buckingham (1753-1813), Politician; MP for Buckinghamshire and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. Sitter in 33 portraits. Identify
- John Bull (active 1712-present), Fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism. Sitter associated with 151 portraits. Identify
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 135 portraits. Identify
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 65 portraits. Identify
- Edward Law, 1st Baron Ellenborough (1750-1818), Lord Chief Justice. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Erskine, 1st Baron Erskine (1750-1823), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 69 portraits. Identify
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 308 portraits. Identify
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 193 portraits. Identify
- William Wyndham Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville (1759-1834), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 70 portraits. Identify
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 189 portraits. Identify
- Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754-1826), Army officer and Politician, Governor-General of India. Sitter in 46 portraits. Identify
- James Maitland, 8th Earl of Lauderdale (1759-1839), Scottish politician and author of 'Inquiry into the Nature and Origin of Public Wealth'. Sitter associated with 37 portraits. Identify
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 168 portraits. Identify
- Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth (1757-1844), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 78 portraits. Identify
- George John Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer (1758-1834), First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter associated with 31 portraits. Identify
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 52 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1806back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt dies in January and his lifelong opponent Charles James Fox dies in September. Pitt is succeeded by William Wyndham, Baron Grenville, who forms the 'Ministry of all the Talents' coalition .
Prince of Wales instigates the 'Delicate Investigation'; a Parliamentary enquiry into claims that his wife Caroline had an illegitimate child.
Art and scienceJohn Constable embarks on a formative tour of the Lakes and makes landscape studies of the Langdale Pikes and Helvellyn.
Turner exhibits his Thames views to acclaim at his own London gallery.
Humphrey Davy discovers the elements potassium and sodium by passing an electrical current through molten compounds.
InternationalSoprano Angelica Catalani arrives from Italy to make her London debut, amazing audiences with her showpiece arias.
Napoleon turns his forces east against Austria, Russia and Prussia and enjoys a wave of French victories.
British attack on Buenos Aires under General William Beresford fails.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.