Afternoon dress, 1869
Afternoon dress, 1869
by A. Lacourière, published in Les Modes Parisiennes, after François-Claudius Compte-Calix
hand-coloured etching, line and stipple engraving, 1869
11 1/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (281 mm x 210 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1930
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Fashion Plates: Activities and occasions - Afternoon dress
- Fashion Plates: Children - Dresses and skirts
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Peplums
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Tunic robes; tunics
- Fashion Plates: Dresses - Under-dresses; under-skirts
- Fashion Plates: Hair - Plaited knots and coiffures
- Fashion Plates: Influences - French fashions
- Fashion Plates: Neckwear - Berthas; berthes
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Pleatings
- Fashion Plates: Trimmings and ornamentation - Ruching
- Fashion Plates: Undergarments - Crinolines
Events of 1869back to top
Current affairsGladstone introduces the Irish Church Disestablishment Act, which disestablishes the Church of Ireland, disassociating it from the state and repealing the paying of tithes to the Anglican Church of Ireland.
Girton College is founded in Cambridge by Barbara Bodichon and Emily Davies, the first residential college for women in England; women were granted full membership to the University in 1948.
Art and scienceRussian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev invents the periodic table of elements, which arranges elements within a group in order of their atomic mass.
The British scientist Mary Somerville publishes her last book On Molecular and Microscopic Science.
Claude Monet and Pierre-Auguste Renoir paint together in the open air at La Grenouillère, developing the Impressionist style.
InternationalThe Suez canal opens, linking the Red Sea and the Gulf of Suez with the Mediterranean Sea, and transforming trade routes between Europe and Asia as merchants no longer had to circumvent Africa. The canal was largely in British and French control until Egyptian nationalisation in 1956, which sparked off the international Suez crisis.
Serialisation of Leo Tolstoy's epic novel of Russian society during the Napoleonic wars, War and Peace finishes.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.