Tobias George Smollett
1 of 8 portraits of Tobias George Smollett
Tobias George Smollett
by Unknown artist
watercolour on ivory, before 1763
1 1/4 in. x 1 1/8 in. (33 mm x 29 mm) image size
Given by an anonymous donor, 2018
Events of 1763back to top
Current affairsJohn Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute resigns as Prime Minister following sustained attacks in the press and parliament. He is succeeded by George Grenville.
Radical John Wilkes is arrested for attacking the king in his weekly satirical publication The North Briton. His arrest is declared illegal by Chief Justice Pratt and he is released, though expelled from Parliament.
Art and scienceBiographer James Boswell is introduced to the writer Samuel Johnson for the first time at Thomas Davies's bookshop in Covent Garden, London.
Josiah Wedgwood receives orders for his pottery from Queen Charlotte. He names his range of pottery 'Queen's Ware' after her.
American painter Benjamin West settles in London, where he becomes famous for his large-scale history scenes.
InternationalPontiac, an Ottawa chief, leads an uprising of the Indian tribes in America in an attempt to drive the British east. Royal Proclamation of 1763 is made by George III, regulating westward expansion of British North America.
Seven Years' War: Treaty of Paris between Britain, France, Spain and Portugal and Treaty of Hubertusburg between Prussia and Austria end the Seven Years' War, leaving Britain in control of Canada, India and much of the Caribbean.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.