8 of 11 portraits by John Comerford
by Caroline Watson, published by Longman & Co, after John Comerford, after George Romney
stipple engraving, published 10 May 1811
11 in. x 8 7/8 in. (279 mm x 226 mm) plate size; 11 3/4 in. x 9 1/8 in. (299 mm x 231 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
- John Comerford (circa 1770-1832), Miniature painter. Artist or producer associated with 11 portraits.
- Longman & Co (active 1806-1839), Publishers. Artist or producer associated with 27 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist or producer associated with 162 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Caroline Watson (1760 or 1761-1814), Printmaker. Artist or producer associated with 29 portraits.
Events of 1811back to top
Current affairsGeorge III's insanity is finally publicly admitted amidst arguments in Parliament over the credibility of his doctors. George, Prince of Wales is appointed Regent despite doubts over his capacity to rule effectively. This prompts the Prince's final split with the Catholic Mrs Fitzherbert, his clandestine wife
Art and scienceJohn Loudon McAdam presents his new road surfacing technique to Parliament.
Jane Austen publishes Sense and Sensibility.
Sculptor Francis Leggatt Chantrey exhibits at the Royal Academy for the first time with a celebrated bust of the radical John Horne Tooke.
InternationalBattle of Albuera; British invade French-held Badajoz in Spain under William Carr Beresford and are victorious over Marshal Soult.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.