10 of 11 portraits by John Comerford
by Edward Scriven, published by Longman & Co, after John Comerford, after George Romney
stipple engraving, published 6 June 1812
8 1/2 in. x 6 1/8 in. (217 mm x 156 mm) plate size; 10 5/8 in. x 7 3/4 in. (271 mm x 198 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
- John Comerford (circa 1770-1832), Miniature painter. Artist or producer associated with 11 portraits.
- Longman & Co (active 1806-1839), Publishers. Artist or producer associated with 27 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist or producer associated with 162 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Edward Scriven (1775-1841), Engraver. Artist or producer associated with 210 portraits.
Events of 1812back to top
Current affairsPrime Minister Spencer Perceval is assassinated in the lobby of the House of Commons by a bankrupt named John Bellingham. A new administration is formed under Lord Liverpool.
The Toleration Act is passed giving greater freedom of worship to dissenters in order to ensure their political loyalty.
Art and scienceActress Sarah Siddons retires from the London stage. Her final appearance is as Lady Macbeth, the role that made her famous, but the performance has to end after the sleepwalking scene because of the fervour of the audience.
Building of Regent's Canal begins under John Rennie.
InternationalUnited States declares war on Britain over grievances arising from British naval conduct in the French wars. American plan for attack on Canada fails and British troops under Sir Edward Pakenham force surrender of Detroit.
Wellington defeats French at Salamanca and enters Madrid.
Napoleon leads France in disastrous Russian campaign.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.