'The Radicals last Effort!!!'
12 of 41 portraits of Sir Matthew Wood, 1st Bt
'The Radicals last Effort!!!'
by Unknown artist, published by G.W. Fortnum
hand-coloured etching, circa 1820
10 1/2 in. x 16 1/2 in. (267 mm x 419 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by Sir Edward Dillon Lott du Cann, 2018
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- John Cam Hobhouse, Baron Broughton de Gyfford (1786-1869), Statesman and friend of Byron. Sitter in 31 portraits.
- Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick (1768-1821), Queen of George IV. Sitter in 101 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits.
- Henry Hunt (1773-1835), Radical politician and demagogue; MP for Preston. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 640 portraits.
- Sir Matthew Wood, 1st Bt (1768-1843), Lord Mayor of London. Sitter associated with 41 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (11 Ball Alley, Lombard Street, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Chairs and thrones
- Group portraits
- Hats and head attire
- Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras
- Jewellery - Livery chains and badges
- Pets and animals
- Pets and animals - Wild and exotic animals
- Religion, faith and spirituality
- Swords, daggers and shields
- Weapons and firearms
- Words and inscriptions
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Windsor Castle on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.
- NPG D48191 in 360°
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Regency familiar faces
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Chartist Portraits
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints