The Tory Band
The Tory Band
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
hand coloured etching and aquatint, published 1827
11 1/4 in. x 14 7/8 in. (287 mm x 379 mm) plate size; 11 3/4 in. x 17 in. (299 mm x 433 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by Sir Edward Dillon Lott du Cann, 2018
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Henry Bathurst, 3rd Earl Bathurst (1762-1834), Statesman. Sitter associated with 21 portraits. Identify
- John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 142 portraits. Identify
- Henry Goulburn (1784-1856), Conservative politician; MP for Cambridge University. Sitter associated with 32 portraits. Identify
- Charles William Vane-Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (1778-1854), Soldier and diplomat. Sitter associated with 43 portraits. Identify
- Robert Dundas, 2nd Viscount Melville (1771-1851), Statesman. Sitter associated with 19 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 323 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 640 portraits. Identify
- John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland (1759-1841), Politician; Lord Privy Seal. Sitter associated with 32 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1827back to top
Current affairsLord Liverpool suffers a stroke and is forced to resign as Prime Minister. George Canning succeeds him only to die after four months in office.
Art and scienceUniversity College London, the first metropolitan university in England, is founded specifically to educate dissenters excluded from Oxford and Cambridge. Whig politician Henry Brougham, writer Thomas Campbell and financier and philanthropist Isaac Goldsmid are its principal patrons.
InternationalBritain, France and Russia sign a treaty in London agreeing to intervene in the Greek War of Independence. Allied troops under General Edward Codrington subsequently destroy Turkish and Egyptian fleets at the Battle of Navarino.
Western Australia is explored for the first time by Captain Stirling.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints