Charlie Chaplin with his family
2 of 14 portraits of Geraldine Chaplin
Charlie Chaplin with his family
by Unknown photographer
gelatin silver print, 16 October 1952
8 5/8 in. x 5 7/8 in. (220 mm x 149 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Sittersback to top
- Sir Charles ('Charlie') Chaplin (1889-1977), Film actor and director. Sitter in 25 portraits. Identify
- Geraldine Leigh Chaplin (1944-), Actress; wife of Patricio Castilla; daughter of Charlie Chaplin. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Josephine Hannah ('Josie') Chaplin (1949-), Actress; daughter of Charlie Chaplin. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Michael John Chaplin (1946-), Actor, writer and producer; son of Charlie Chaplin. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Oona (née O'Neill), Lady Chaplin (1925-1991), Wife of Charlie Chaplin; daughter of Eugene O'Neill and Agnes Boulton. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Victoria Chaplin (1951-), Circus performer; wife of Jean-Baptiste Thierrée; daughter of Charlie Chaplin. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1952back to top
Current affairsKing George VI is found dead in his bed in Sandringham; he had been suffering from lung cancer. His daughter Elizabeth, who was in Kenya at the time, became Queen, the only monarch not to know the precise moment of her accession as her father was alone when he died. Elizabeth was crowned the following year.
Art and scienceSamuel Beckett's play, Waiting for Godot is performed for the first time in Paris. The play belongs to the Theatre of the Absurd style, which influenced playwrights such as Harold Pinter and Tom Stoppard.
Agatha Christie's play The Mousetrap opens in London. It is still going.
InternationalMau Mau rebels in Kenya rise up against the British colonial administration. The rebellion was sparked by the growing poverty of the native farmers under the rule of white settlers and called for Kenyan independence. The violence of the rebels, who often murdered settlers and loyalists, was met by the indiscriminate suppression by the British Military, who executed hundreds of suspects.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Charlie Chaplin In Close Up
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.