3 of 5 portraits by Joseph Netherclift
possibly by Robert Seymour, printed by Joseph Netherclift, published by Thomas McLean
hand-coloured lithograph, published 15 August 1829
10 5/8 in. x 13 3/8 in. (269 mm x 341 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by Sir Edward Dillon Lott du Cann, 2018
Sittersback to top
- John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (1772-1863), Lord Chancellor and politician; son of the painter John Singleton Copley. Sitter associated with 131 portraits. Identify
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 230 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 323 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 640 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 1057 portraits.
- Joseph Netherclift (active 1821-1848), Lithographic printer and draughtsman. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Robert Seymour (1798-1836), Illustrator and caricaturist. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints