1 of 4 portraits by George Nicol
by Henry Kingsbury, published by George Nicol, published for Henry Wilson, after Georgiana Jane Henderson (née Keate)
stipple engraving, published 1 May 1788
10 in. x 7 3/8 in. (255 mm x 187 mm) plate size; 11 3/4 in. x 9 in. (298 mm x 228 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Lee Boo (circa 1764-1784), First visitor to Britain from Palau. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Georgiana Jane Henderson (née Keate) (1771?-1850), Painter. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Henry Kingsbury (active 1775-1798), Painter and engraver. Artist associated with 13 portraits.
- George Nicol (1740?-1828), Bookseller and publisher. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Henry Wilson (1740-1810), Naval captain of the British East India Company and discoverer of Palau. Artist associated with 2 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1788back to top
Current affairsParliament begins an investigation into the slave trade, led by reformers Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce.
Regency Crisis; George III's madness is announced provoking a political storm.
Former Governor-General of Bengal Warren Hastings' trial begins before the House of Lords.
Henry Benedict Stuart becomes the new Stuart claimant to the British throne.
Art and scienceArtist Thomas Gainsborough dies.
First edition of The Times newspaper is published in London.
Scottish engineer and inventor William Symington demonstrates the first paddle steamer on Dalswinton Loch near Dumfries.
Robert Burns writes his version of the Scots poem Auld Lang Syne.
InternationalMinisters of the French King, Louis XVI, reluctantly announce that the Estates General will meet the following year, for the first time since 1614.
United States constitution comes into force when New Hampshire becomes the ninth state to ratify it.
First Fleet reaches Australia, anchoring in Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip, selecting a suitable site for the first Australian penal colony, names the place Sydney Cove.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints