Sir Gordon Richards
Sir Gordon Richards
by Unknown photographer, issued by Carreras Tobacco Company
colour relief halftone cigarette card, 1935
2 5/8 in. x 1 1/8 in. (68 mm x 30 mm) overall
acquired unknown source
Sitterback to top
- Sir Gordon Richards (1904-1986), Jockey, trainer and racing manager. Sitter in 20 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Arcadia Works/Carreras Cigarette Factory, Greater London House, 180 Hampstead Road, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1935back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin starts his third term as Prime Minister after Ramsay Macdonald resigns due to ill health. Coincidentally, Baldwin's first term in office also came about when the Prime Minister of the time, Bonar Law, stepped down due to illness in 1923.
Art and scienceRobert Watson-Watt demonstrates Radar, showing how an aircraft can be tracked by detecting radio waves reflected off it. During the war, Watson-Watt established a network of machines and operators that helped detect the approach of enemy aircraft in the Battle of Britain.
Penguin publishes its first paperback books, making reading more portable and affordable to a wider audience.
InternationalItaly invades Abyssinia. The invasion of the country now known as Ethiopia was part of Mussolini's plan to create an Italian Empire. It was also an attempt to avenge Abyssinia's victory over the Italian army at Adowa in 1896.
Germany introduces conscription, breaking the disarmament clause of the Treaty of Versailles.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.