by Francis Kyte, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, 1724 or after
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
Events of 1724back to top
Current affairsNotorious thief and jailbreaker John 'Jack' Sheppard is hanged at Tyburn.
General George Wade is sent to inspect Scotland, initiating an 11-year program of road improvement and bridge building in the Scottish Highlands.
Art and scienceFirst of Jonathan Swift's Drapier's Letters is published; one of seven pamphlets railing against the debasement of Irish coinage.
Blenheim Palace is presented as a gift to the Duke of Marlborough for his involvement in the Battle of Blenheim in 1704.
InternationalThomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle becomes Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Pope Benedict XIII succeeds Pope Innocent XIII as the 245th pope.
King Philip V of Spain abdicates the throne.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.